Friday, February 10, 2012

Zucchini Boats of Awesome.

I need to tell you about this recipe I made last night. Like NEED to. It is so awesome.



It is my second attempt but I have strayed from the original each time and I think I reached perfection last night. Like, wow, amazing...the leftovers today for lunch rocked.


I was also just going to call them Zucchini Boats but I didn't feel that that name fully captured how awesome they were, so I named them Zucchini Boats of Awesome or Awesome Boats. Your choice.


I first got the idea from Pinterest from Kayotic Kitchen and their Stuffed Zucchini. Now I am a creature of habit, particularly when it comes to seasoning. In my cooking I use three main spices/seasonings: Garlic Salt/Powder, Onion Salt/Powder and Johnny's Garlic Spread Powder (from Costco). Honestly everything I cook uses Garlic and Onion salts, and then lately Johnny's has been showing up quite a bit. Paul says my food tastes great, but he'd like it if I branched out more - I figure that if I'm the cook I get to pick and here I stay.


So when I saw the kayotic recipe and noticed no garlic and lots of other stuff like curry powder I thought, I'll try this my own way.


The first time I made these I used regular bacon and cheddar cheese, and for seasoning I just used Garlic and Onion Salt. I found the recipe tastes like Perogies. Everyone liked it.


This second time I used Johnny's Garlic Spread as the seasoning with chicken and mozza cheese and I have to say, I sure hit the jackpot.


So here you go!


Zucchini Boats of Awesome


Ingredients:
  • Zucchini (at least one half for every person ou are feeding) - I used 2 Zucchini's
  • 1 Chicken Breast (diced and cooked in Garlic and Onion salts to taste)
  • Johnny's Garlic Spread (to taste)
  • Mozza Cheese (1/2 to 3/4 cup, shredded)
  • Spinach (either fresh or frozen)
  • Becel (Margarine) or Butter or Olive Oil
  • 3 Tablespoons of light Cream Cheese Spread (or regular cream cheese, brick or spread)
Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 450 and line a pan with tin foil and spray to grease.


2. Wash your Zucchini and cut it in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the insides, and put aside (mashed or chopped). Be careful not to scoop too much so as not to ruin the integrity of the boat (sounds so smart, right?) or too little (so there is not well to put it in). Lay each Zucchini on the greased pan and lightly spray with oil.

3. Saute your spinach with becel/butter/olive oil, once the leaves have started to shrink down, add the Zucchini. Flavor to taste with Johnny's garlic seasoning. Once both are heated and the vegetables have seemed to blend together, remove any excess liquid, you don't want your boats to be too mushy. Add the cream cheese and stir on medium until the mixture is blended. Add the chicken.

The mixture

4. Load up your boats! Fill the scoops up, ensuring that you don't over fill. Top with MOzza cheese.

Ready to bake!
5. Bake 'em! I think I put mine in for about 15 minutes (I had a beer while I waited so don't take my word for it) but I do know that you want to cook them until the cheese is golden, like so:

I served mine with Asparagus and Green Beans both seasoned with becel and parmesan (wanted a veggy-full meal) but you could serve this with anything.



Lastly, this can be a vegetarian dish. Just omit the Chicken and add in other vegetables when you saute the Zucchini (mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, etc). For Mexi Style you could use Taco seasoning, add diced tomatoes and corn and throw Cheddar on top - like healthy nachos!

1 comment:

LeAnna said...

those do sound awesome! stuffed vegetables are win. I made stuffed pumpkin in the fall and...yum

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...