Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Menu Plan Monday


Menu Plan Monday with Laura at Org Junkie
It's feels like fall - and normal life. School is starting up and life is beginning it's normal stride again. It's been a busy weekend doing a ton of projects and I've been spending the weekend doing catch up - including making a few meals for a dear friend (Dudu) who just had a baby - this meant I made a couple extra's types of each meal for us to eat at home to make the week easier for us as well. 

We don't have many plans this week but that doesn't mean there isn't lots to do - we made big leaps and bounds in our home and have some finishing up to do, so I want quick and easy meals - easy to serve to our household so that I can finish up at home when I'm not at work. 

Monday: Roasted Chicken, Zucchini Boats, steamed broccoli and Greek Quinoa Bake
It was a holiday so I had time to cook, and had a dear friend over for dinner and wanted to make something she could eat - so a gluten free meal was in order. Quinoa is usually my go to for gluten free. 

Greek Quinoa Bake: 
Prepare quinoa as directed on package. Dice peppers (and zucchini if you like) and saute with some diced onions and garlic and onion salt. Combine quinoa, sautéed veggies, crumbled feta and greek seasoning together. Bake for 15 or so minutes at 450. 

Tuesday: Chicken Casserole served with salad
This chicken casserole is one of the ones I made for Dudu and her family and then made a spare for our family. I add this recipe as a rough guideline but I am pretty free with ingredients. I always add canned corn, always use fresh steamed broccoli and rarely add diced onions. I usually use parmesan but sometimes use cheddar cheese. And I never use canned chicken always fresh shredded chicken - best if from a roasted chicken, like from costco. To quote Dudu (who tried the meal tonight) the dish is "the truth" - which I assume is a high compliment.

Wednesday: Mexican Pie
Mexican Pie is another of my go to recipes. I made a batch for Dudu and again made another batch for us. This recipe is fun for me because it changes depending on what is on hand - usually a bunch of different cans: corn, refried beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes with chiles and more. I usually add salsa also. Then I get to layer it up! I always cut out the tortilla to fit the pan and then shred the cast offs of the tortilla into the layering mixture.  This is best served with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. 

This is a tasty meal that we love having - we'll have a couple wedding guests staying here and this is a fun meal to serve. 

Friday night we have a rehearsal dinner at our place so I needed to have something easy to serve our students that could be served from the side and not be in the way of the rehearsal dinner. Cashew Chicken is tasty and easy. 

Saturday: YOYO (You're On Your Own) 
Saturday is Sam and Stef's Wedding (wahoo) so our students are on their own. 

Sunday: YOYO (You're On Your Own) 
Sunday we have planned a photo shoot with my family while my mom can still smile for pictures - and randomely we also have a Morgan family photo shoot on the same day! 10am to 1pm we'll be doing the Morgan photo shoot in White Rock, and 3pm to 6pm we'll be doing our Mitchell family photo at Granville Island. Big day for smiles and looking good. Paul is going to HATE that day - that man is not a fan of photos. 

On a side note: I hate when bloggers explain why they haven't been blogging, as if our absences are so noticeable. It always seems arrogant. And yet, here I am, explaining my absence. But I am slowly editing photos and gathering my thoughts from the week, and more than that I'm working hard at work, working hard at home and resting when I get the chance. But I have quite a few blog posts brewing: E&V's Wedding, Camp 8 @ Anvil and Secretary Hutch Reno. Woo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...