Friday, September 13, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 9)


--- 1 --- 
Paul's found a job! He is working part time as an Educational Assistant at a local Christian High School and part time helping a friend's business. Between the two he is full time, and has an opportunity to apply for a few teaching jobs in January. We're very happy and he's pleased to ease into teaching slowly - this gives him time in the classroom without being the one in charge. Last nigh though, I watched him help our student Jessie with her homework and I was reminded that he was born to teach. I pray/hope the right position comes along at the right time.  


Now Paul is working full time and I'm working 4 days at work, plus running the house and our students. It's excellent. We're entering into season "debt paydown" - it's an exciting time; we basically live like we still only have one income and put almost everything else onto debt. I've actually been looking forward to this season for sometime.

The other great thing about us both working is that mornings are so much easier when we both have to get up around the same time. If one of us gets to lay in bed, the other person struggles to be motivated to get up. When we both have to get up, we help motivate each other to be up and out of bed on time. So helpful!

--- 2 --- 
I've gotten a gym pass so finally after a month and a half of having no place to shower at work, therefore no way to bike to work, I've been able to start up again. I missed it a lot! I didn't realize how much until I started again. It's a half hour there, plus 20 minutes to change and walk to work and just over half and hour back, with 15 minutes to change. In the summer I get home around 5:22 and in the winter it's more like 5:30. The sun really does make the commute much faster/easier/safer. Not biking for the month helped me gain quite a bit of weight, so I'm back on operation "bike lots and eat better". We'll see how it goes - I quite hate the eat better side of it. 


{The view as I leave in the morning on my bike}
--- 3 --- 
I am on the Island for a wedding this weekend (wedding starts in 40 minutes!) and I rode to the wedding in the back of a SUV/Van thing. Since I wasn't in charge of the trip or driving I got to pull out my iPad and keyboard and write yesterdays and most of todays post. So thankful for restful time like that. I also rested and read a book. Happy Tara for the win!


When I was on the ferry I saw a sign that tickled my fancy when I went to Europe with my parents 10 years ago. The sign said "Step over Sill" by someone had added a "y" and for some reason, "step over, silly" as a command, makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. 

--- 4 --- 
As mentioned, I am typing this from the back of a Ford Flex as I drive up island from Sydney to Honeymoon Bay outside of Lake Cowichan. I am going to help with a friends sister's wedding - and being here has made me remember how much I love this Island. The Ferries, the scenery. I loved growing up here. As much as Port is my home, the whole island is in my heart too - we grew up travelling it up and down and back and forth, something I continued well into my adulthood. I wish there wasn't such an expensive ferry in between us. 

Oh the island highway, and the various familiar stops. There is such nostalgia all up and down this place. I hope to be able to bring my kids over fairly regularly - I want them to be raised with Vancouver Island as a family place, like I was with Vancouver. For Paul's sake we must tie in Portland/Oregan as well - yikes, so many places to let them fall in love with. 

--- 5 --- 
Travel day I came up with a great outfit. The weather was hot out - the sun hasn't gotten the memo that it's fall and I'm oh so thankful. That being said, air conditioned ferries and restaurants make picking an outfit tricky. I chose a tank top and short with a chambray pullover to add in the coolth. I felt comfortable all day. It's a winner!
--- 6 --- 
I am currently heading to wedding 9 of 11 since March. Today is the last "summer" wedding, the next two are both in October and are definitely more "fall"y. At some point I have a post brewing about weddings and such - like a "What 11 weddings has tuaght me" sort of post. We'll see. It's only brewing in my head so we'll see if it translates into a blogpost. 

But I will say, this season of weddings has been a blast. There have been some really hard parts, some really really awesome parts, many expensive parts, quite a few rewarding parts and a lot learned. Through these weddings I can say that by choosing to be involved in them and not just attending, I have grown so much closer to the women getting married and to the women closest to each bride and for that I wouldn't take back a moment of back pain, late nights and early mornings. I have been blessed to serve these women, and call them friends. 

So far this season: 
Ana's  Vancouver wedding (which started the whole time off) where I grew to love this woman even more than I had originally (Ana you rock!) and slightly coveted her wedding (that woman has mad skills)
Sara's Surrey wedding where I got to see family come together and learn a lot about my newest sibling in law
Sunshine's Vancouver wedding where I got to know this sweet lady even better and see her graciousness in full force
Rebekah's Peace Arch wedding where Canada met with USA and I got to witness a wedding where God moved and have the chance to grow closer to this friend of mine and understand where she came from and who she is
Sarah's Nelson wedding which was not only fun but gave all of us Vancouver friends a chance to see her and her new love happy together
Yhan's wedding where I finally got to get a glimpse of who Yhan really was - and how very loved she is by so many around her. 
Ereka's wedding was a reinforcement of all I already knew about her - she is amazing and loved and absolutely one of the best people I know. Love her TONS. 
Stef's wedding was a wonderful opportunity to grow closer to her and learn more about where she comes from. I'm so thankful for the time with her. 
Currently, I'm at Alex's wedding - I wish LeAnna, you could meet her. She reminds me of a mix between  you and your sister-in-laws. She says things like "Stupid Monkey" and a thousand other LeAnna isms that I miss and love about you. Alex is stress free and is so great to be around on this big day. Also? Lord of the Rings themed invitations, complete with pop up Calvin and Hobbes LOTR cartoon cut out. Awesome. 
 --- 7 --- 
This weekend I get to head to Parksville for Crystal's 30th birthday - I'm so thankful I'm on the island for this wedding already. It's a pie making competition night, so I'm stoked about that. On top of that I'm looking forward to Saturday with her at the mall - shoe shopping and dress fitting and general "girlyness". I love this friend and I'm stoked to get to spend so much time with her in the coming months. Just over a month to her big day and I feel so blessed to get to stand with her as she married her love, John. I won't say I called it (cause I didn't) BUT I will say I always like them together and was always pro-John. So this will be a great day. And now - time for a wedding, happy weekend!!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...