Monday, July 20, 2015

Butter Chicken Stuffed Peppers



Living in Vancouver has stretched my plan "white" taste buds in wonderful ways. Moving over from a small town on an island meant mostly I ate at chain restaurants - White Spot, ABC Pantry, Smitty's, Swiss Chalet, etc. We ate white people food. Sometimes we would go "foreign" and eat at the Pine Cafe (westernized "chinese" food - I use the term loosely since it was very westernized) or Wait U (for "chinese" food to go). Moving to a very asian big city was a BIG adjustment. Slowly I have grown to love vietnamese food and thai food. I have found a Dim Sum place I LOVE, as well as a little chinese cafeteria I really enjoy. Also I was introduced to butter chicken and man am I pleased about that. I first had Butter Chicken made by my Auntie Debbie and then felt brave enough to try it out at restaurants. I always love it. I got my aunts recipe and it's something I love to make at home. 




Usually when I make this I serve it on basmati rice with pita bread on the side (for myself I served it over sauteed zucchinis and peppers, rather than rice, to help with my health goals). We had this for dinner the other night and I made a triple batch so there would be enough for Sunday Dinner (we were having friends over after church) and even then there was still a bunch left. So I decided to make it into a slightly different meal, rather than serving identical leftovers a second night. Thus Butter Chicken Stuffed Peppers were born. 



Butter Chicken Stuffed Peppers

INGREDIENTS:

  • Butter Chicken Package or Jar
  • Ingredients as listed on the package or jar - mine called for diced onions & tomatoes
  • Roasted Chicken
  • Peppers
  • Shredded Cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:

  • Using a Butter Chicken package or jar make butter chicken. I use Asian Home Gourmet with a roasted chicken from Costco but have also tried with jars of butter chicken sauce from the Asian aisle in the grocery store. Either works.
  • Cook Rice. I used Basmati Rice cooked with chicken broth and onion flakes.
  • Mix Rice & Butter Chicken. I also added sauteed zucchini for more veggies.
  • Preheat oven to 450
  • Core Peppers and slice in half. 
  • Lay Peppers on a baking sheet, on their back side. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with your favourite seasoning (I used garlic and onion salts) and bake for 10-15 minutes (until slightly tender), then remove. 
  • Fill each pepper with the butter chicken mixture and then top with shredded cheese (I used shredded parmesan but any cheese would work). 
  • Bake the peppers for 15 minutes. 
  • Turn the oven to broil and leave the peppers in for 2-5 minutes (until the cheese is slightly brown). 
  • Serve & eat!



This was not only great to eat for dinner but was fabulous as leftovers for lunch. I already can't wait to make this again! and next time I might try Butter Chicken stuffed into Zucchini boats! Oh man veggies make great conduits for good food. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...